Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mango Tartlettes

I have a thing for baking desserts in miniature - not only are they portion control friendly but they are also just prettier than their larger counterparts.  One of my favorite fruits have made their way into stores, the champagne or alfalfa mango. I love their sweet and tangy flavor and the fact that they are not as fibrous as traditional mangoes.  In order to get the best out of their flavor, I decided to make a Mango Curd tart with an almond meal crust (this recipe is gluten-free) and topped them with some beautiful and edible violas.  The idea of eating flowers might be quite strange even to even the most devout flower lover, but they are definitely worth trying.  The violas I incorporated here have a cinnamon, almost bubble gum-like flavor and served as an interesting pairing with the mango curd.  

Also, I am super excited that my Savon de Marseille soap was featured on HGTV.com.  Check out the feature here.  


A Few Things: I settled on mini tarts, but you can definitely make this into a one large tart instead.  I purchased the edible flowers from Gourmet Sweet Botanicals - they have a wide variety of flowers to choose from. The only caveat to ordering edible flowers is that you must have the overnighted in order to ensure they arrive beautiful and ready to use.  

Crust recipe adapted from the Seasonal Family & Mango Curd recipe from Epicurious
*Photography & Styling by Alison 

8 comments:

  1. These look amazing. The photography is also adorable, very spring like and tastefully done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks amazing for some many reasons - the actual tart, the decoration, and the photography! Great post

    Abby
    www.champagneplans.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. how adorable are those desserts! Such a perfect spring treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning, Alison! First off, I love mango–so these are probably my new favorite thing. Secondly, the photography is gorgeous. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEEEEELISH!!! Ugh this reminds me of Hawaii!! I think every dessert I had was mango flavored!!! I want to make these as it's probably the closest I'll get to Hawaii for quite some time. haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE mangoes! These mini tarts look delicious, and congrats on the HGTV feature - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok these photos are out of this world. So, beautiful! I may need to try this. I bought some mangoes the other day. And I love that its gf. I'm trying to be more mindful about this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those tartelette look divine! And beautiful pictures as always!
    PS: Congratulations for the feature on HGTV ;)

    ReplyDelete