Monday, September 19, 2011

A Delicious Mediterranean Salad

(The late-summer vegetables - I can't get over the intense violet hue of the eggplant)
(The barley and green onions simmering with chicken broth, cumin and cayenne)
(A beautiful array of colors)
(The light dressing consisting of olive oil, garlic, lemon and a pinch of sugar)
(The healthy finish)

I am always on the search for healthy salads that I can make for lunch or dinner. When I mean salad, I don't mean your typical mixed greens or spinach, I am talking about salads infused with quinoa, couscous, farro, barley and seasonal vegetables.

I stumbled across this healthy recipe for Mediterranean Eggplant and Barley Salad. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it is also very healthy, while still fusing together some of my favorite ingredients like kalamata olives, eggplant, grape tomatoes and the earthy herb cumin.  This dish is very versatile, meaning you can serve it hot or cold. I omitted the zucchini (I forgot to pick that up at the farmer's market and frankly, I was too lazy to run back out and pick it up) and ricotta salata and stead opted for crumbled feta.  This salad is a great way to utilize summer's late harvest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment